Healing herbs

Healing herbs
Echinacea and Calendula

Sunday 7 July 2013

Coconut Rose Body Butter

Coconut oil is wonderful for general moisturizing and using for a protective layer to help your skin retain its natural moisture.  Most folks with sensitive skin enjoy the moisturizing benefits of coconut oil.  I used refined coconut oil in this recipe since it does not have the penetrating and deep scent of coconut like the virgin unrefined does.  Feel free to use unrefined if you like as it would pair very well with a citrus essential oil such as tangerine or lime.

Coconut oil is very easy to whip into a delicate airy mousse, however it will melt at 76 degrees and turn back into a liquid.  This recipe is best made in the cooler months of the year if you plan to store it at room temperature.  I make this in the warmer months and store it in my fridge.  It feels really good massaged into the skin after spending time in the hot sun or swimming.

Since I chose to use  rose essential oil (I like the Rosa damascena variety), I thought it would be fun to add just a slight tint of pink color using some Alkanet infused oil I crafted a while back.  (Click here to learn how to make Alkanet infused oil).  I also added in a little bit of corn starch to help negate the slight oily feel when applying it to the skin.  Rounding out the recipe is a small amount of Jojoba oil which is easily absorbed into the skin.

Read more here

No comments:

Post a Comment