Healing herbs

Healing herbs
Echinacea and Calendula

Thursday 3 March 2011

Vegetables With A Past

from punkrockgardens: Part of what I love about gardening is the connection to the past I experience as I step away from my computer and sink into the ancient activity of tending plants.

I love working with antique tools. I conjure the energy and memory of the gardeners and farmers who were first to

use those tools. Important to my backwards time travel through gardening, is growing vegetables with a past.

I grow heirloom vegetables from seed. That said, I have to admit, I don’t understand every detail about how heirloom seeds are different than others. It’s pretty complex. I know heirloom seeds are older varieties.

There are several schools of thought about how long a variety needs to be around before it can be called an heirloom. Some think the seeds need a demonstrated lineage going back at least one hundred years. Others say an heirloom seed is one that has been handed down in a family from generation to generation. I personally believe that a seed can be qualified as an heirloom if it was around pre-WW2.

No comments:

Post a Comment